Associate, Research & Analysis
ReThink Media seeks a Research Associate or Senior Research Associate to support their Research & Analysis team. This position is an excellent opportunity for someone with data analysis skills and an interest in communications, media, and public opinion to make an impact on communications strategies for advocacy groups working on a range of social justice issues.
ReThink Media’s Research & Analysis Team conducts message testing and public opinion research, tracks public polling, analyzes media coverage and social media conversations about our issues, and manages data about our programs’ impact.
The Research Associate/Senior Research Associate reports to the Director of Research & Analysis, and informs the work of our program teams by conducting qualitative and quantitative analyses of news coverage and social media data, designing and conducting message testing and public opinion research, and monitoring public opinion polls. The Research Associate may also assist with designing and maintaining databases to track ReThink's impact and evaluation data.
We are looking for someone with solid qualitative and quantitative analysis skills, enthusiasm for communications, language, and media, and an interest in using research and data to support advocacy.
- Run data queries in our proprietary media databases and perform quantitative analyses
- Assist with qualitative media content analysis research, including gathering, reading and coding news articles and social media posts
- Assist with message testing and public opinion research, including drafting survey questions, assembling and administering surveys in Qualtrics, and analyzing the results
- Perform data cleaning, formatting and analysis on media or polling data in spreadsheet format (in Excel, Tableau, etc.)
- Create compelling data visualizations using Tableau or other tools
- Assist with writing and editing memos or reports
- Create PowerPoint decks and present research findings to fellow staff members and external audiences
- Monitor public opinion polls about our issues, and produce written summaries and analysis
Candidates at the Senior Research Associate level will additionally:
- Take on a higher level of responsibility and leadership with research and analysis projects
- Supervise part-time interns and fellows
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience
- BA in Political Science, Sociology, Psychology, Economics, or related fields, or equivalent training/experience
- Interest in communications, public opinion, and/or media
- Interest in using research and data to impact social movements and public policy
- Ability to identify patterns in qualitative and quantitative data
- Strong writing skills and the ability to write clearly and succinctly for a variety of audiences.
- Experience creating, manipulating, and analyzing spreadsheets
- Strong attention to detail, ability to take initiative, and good organizational skills.
- Ability to stay focused while handling multiple assignments and priorities.
- Enthusiasm for learning new skills, problem solving, and pondering difficult questions
Desirable but not required:
- Experience with or coursework on public opinion and statistics
- Experience with survey construction, focus group facilitation, or other forms of quantitative or qualitative public opinion research (including Qualtrics)
- Background in qualitative social science research, cognitive linguistics, or messaging and framing analysis
- Experience working with media or social media data
- Experience with data visualization using Tableau or other tools
- Knowledge of R, Python or other programming languages, experience with Natural Language Processing.
- Experience with presenting, training, and public speaking
- Proven experience in and/or commitment to working on ReThink Media's major issue areas and policies
- For Senior Research Associates, a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience is required, and a master's degree in the social sciences or a related field is desirable.
LOCATION, BENEFITS, & SALARY
This is a full-time position based in our downtown Berkeley office (currently working remotely). After our office reopens, we anticipate that staff will have the option to continue working a partially remote schedule, if desired. The position will require occasional travel to our DC office, to staff and planning meetings, and to presentations and trainings. This is a mid to entry-level position (depending on qualifications, the final candidate will be hired as either a Research Associate or Senior Research Associate), which comes with a generous benefits, vacation, sabbatical, and retirement package.
Salary is commensurate with experience and will be in the range of $50,000–55,000 for Research Associates or $60,000-65,000 for Senior Research Associates, plus benefits.
We are moving quickly to fill this position and are assessing candidates on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply no later than Sunday, March 28th. This position is open until filled.
ReThink Media is an equal opportunity employer and an inclusive organization. People of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, send an email to [email protected], Subject: Research Associate. Please include your cover letter, résumé and a writing sample as PDF attachments, with your name in each filename (e.g., resume-Smith.pdf). The writing sample should be no longer than 3 pages, and can be an excerpt of a longer paper or report.