Communications Associate, Inclusive Democracy
Record numbers of Americans turned out to vote during the 2020 election, and in response, corporate special interests and dark-money groups are orchestrating an all-out assault on judicial independence, the freedom to vote and the legitimacy of our elections.
However, this moment contains opportunity:
- The wave of anti-voter laws being passed in state after state is drawing public attention to the democracy debate;
- An unprecedented, broad-based, and diverse coalition is fighting for national standards to defend our freedom to vote and stop corporations and billionaires from trying to buy our elections;
- Corporate America is feeling the heat and being pressured to stand on the side of democracy against anti-voter policies.
At this crucial inflection point in our nation’s history, ReThink Media is looking to hire a Communications Associate to expand its Inclusive Democracy team, which works on judicial independence, money in politics, and state-level campaigns to shape the narrative around these issues and build organizational capacity throughout the democracy sector.
This is a position where no two days are the same and where quick thinking in rapid response is equally balanced with longer term strategic planning. The ideal candidate will be a self-starting problem solver with a proven record of success with media relations and placements. They will be an avid communicator who understands the role of storytelling in communications, who is committed to social and racial justice, and who has an outstanding record of working in movement settings. This is not an entry-level position; we are looking for someone with at least two years of professional experience working in the fields of media, communications, and press or public relations.
The Communications Associate is responsible for coordinating with and assisting ReThink Media’s member groups in monitoring both traditional and online news coverage, and in responding rapidly and effectively to breaking news. This includes tracking all of key national and in-state reporters, communications staff, and opposition spokespeople. It also means building and maintaining shared press lists, assisting groups in developing individual press lists and, where appropriate, assisting with the editing, pitching,and placement of content and spokespeople. Importantly, the Communications Associate will work to build capacity among organizational partners, positioning them to better lead communications strategy from the ground.
Specific goals will be set quarterly, corresponding to the following duties:
- Monitor daily news, opinion, and social media coverage and review daily news digests from the sector in order to identify key opportunities for rapid response;
- Draft daily clips related to top news stories with relevant social media content;
- Assist in the development of timely and effective talking points, messaging tips and where appropriate create statements, op-eds, letters to the editor, and sample social media content, to be distributed in response to breaking news developments and ahead of known media opportunities;
- Develop expert knowledge of all of the key reporters and outlets covering these issues, with particular attention paid to developing relationships with ethnic media;
- Train groups to develop and maintain tailored press lists;
- Build meaningful relationships with partner organizations and develop expertise on the issues they work on, their unique media profiles, their key spokespeople, and their access to validators;
- Assist groups in developing strategic communications plans and in implementing media strategies;
- Pitch and place stories and op-eds;
- Help provide media skills training;
- Help coordinate social media strategies and tactics, including both longer-term efforts and rapid response opportunities.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience monitoring, news coverage, writing press materials, developing traditional and social media strategies, and/or pitching stories.
- Strong writing, editing, and communications skills.
- Ability to creatively and strategically frame ideas, develop stories, and synthesize complex policy issues in a way that appeals to reporters, editors, producers, and a wide variety of audiences.
- Experience with digital content and strategy for social media.
- Experience working in multi-racial and multi-ethnic coalitions.
- Demonstrated experience with or commitment to the work of ReThink Media Democracy Program.
- Demonstrated experience in fast-paced campaign communications, with preference for experience in state-based advocacy/political media relations.
- Excellent news sense and political savvy.
- Knowledge of print, broadcast, and online news media.
- Proven track record as a strong team player.
- Strong research and administrative skills.
- Experience with Cision, MailChimp, CRMs, Zoom, and/or Drupal a plus.
- Fluency in a second language is a plus.
LOCATION, SALARY, & BENEFITS
Because of the pandemic, ReThink is currently working remotely, but candidates must be based in the United States. In the third quarter of 2021, ReThink may return to an in-person work environment, with offices based in the Washington, D.C., metro area and Berkeley, Calif. In addition, there may be modest travel to key states for conferences, training workshops, and periodic staff meetings.
The salary range for the position is $50,000–55,000 a year, with a generous and comprehensive benefits package, including vacation and sick time, paid sabbatical, and retirement.
ReThink Media is an equal opportunity employer and an inclusive organization. People of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, send an email to [email protected], Subject: Communications Associate, Inclusive Democracy. Please include your cover letter and résumé as PDF attachments, with your name in each filename (e.g., resume-Smith.pdf). In your cover letter, state the reason for your interest in the position, provide a brief summary of your professional experience, your salary requirements, and address your background in relation to working on these issues. If you have applied for a previous position with ReThink Media, please indicate this in your email.
All applications will be acknowledged, and qualified applicants will be asked to complete a brief questionnaire and writing exercise prior to the scheduling of interviews.