Communications Associate, Rights & Inclusion (Temporary Full-Time)
ReThink Media seeks a short-term Communications Associate to support its Rights and Inclusion team to assist with media and communications strategy ahead of the 20th anniversary of 9/11. What does accountability and justice look like 20 years later? How should our partners be talking about their work and their communities to the media?
ReThink's Rights and Inclusion Team works with Arab, Middle Eastern, Muslim, and South Asian organizations and leaders across the United States, with allies opposing hate-crimes and anti-Muslim prejudice, and with U.S.-based allies promoting cultural equity and inclusion in the arts.
The Communications Associate reports to the Program Director of the Rights & Inclusion team. The associate will join ReThink Media on a five-month contract. This position is best suited for someone who has experience working with Arab, Middle Eastern, Muslim, or South Asian communities.
The ideal candidate will have 2-3 years of experience working in media relations, community or political organizing, communications strategy, or journalism. We highly encourage freelance journalists covering the aforementioned communities to apply.
- Assist in the adoption/dissemination of timely and effective talking points, messaging tips, and op-eds on the 20th anniversary of 9/11 and lessons learned
- Assist with pitching and placement of spokespeople and content, developing online strategies, and tracking our efforts.
- Help provide training to member organizations and spokespeople in media skills such as conducting effective broadcast interviews, writing op-eds, engaging editorial boards, driving social media strategies, and others.
- Assist and train groups in developing tailored press lists and identifying additional outlets/reporters to target.
- Assist with supporting the individual media work and communications capacity of our member groups. This will include assisting groups in developing a strategic communications plan, implementing media strategies, building press lists, assisting in the editing and development of media content, assisting with pitching and placement, and providing media training.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Very strong writing, editing, communications, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to the issues outlined above and 2-3 years of experience working in media relations, community or political organizing or communications strategy, or all of the above.
- Experience working with Arab, Middle Eastern, Muslim, and South Asian communities
- Experience monitoring and analyzing news coverage, writing press materials, developing media strategies and/or pitching stories.
- A creative and strategic ability to frame ideas, develop stories and synthesize complex policy issues in a way that appeals to the news media and a wide variety of audiences.
- Excellent news sense and political savvy.
- Knowledge of print, broadcast and digital news media.
- A positive, flexible attitude and willingness to manage a fast-paced, multi-faceted workload, ideally involving media and communications and/or client relations.
- Strong training and/or mentoring skills.
- Proven track record as a strong team player, in team building and in project management skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, with varying levels of organization staff, clients, contractors, foundations and the media.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments.
- Strong research and administrative skills.
Location, Benefits & Salary
This is a temporary, full-time exempt position until October 1, 2021, with the possibility of becoming a longer term or permanent position based on ReThink's needs and funding. Due to the pandemic, this position will be fully remote, but candidates must be based in the United States (with a preference for candidates based in Washington, DC; Maryland; Virginia; California; or Washington State). This is a mid to entry-level position which comes with benefits.
Salary is commensurate with experience and will be in the range of $50,000–55,000 pro rata ($4,166–$4,583 monthly).
We are moving quickly to fill this position and are assessing candidates on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply by April 23rd. This position is open until filled.
ReThink Media is an equal opportunity employer and an inclusive organization. People of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, send an email to [email protected], Subject: Communications Associate, Rights and Inclusion. Please include your cover letter, résumé, and a writing sample as PDF attachments, with your name in each filename (e.g., resume-Smith.pdf).