Data Science Intern (Summer 2022)
ReThink Media seeks a graduate student with Python and/or R programming skills and an interest in computational text analysis to assist our Research & Analysis Team. This internship will provide an opportunity to develop your data science and data wrangling skills while helping inform communications strategies for advocacy groups working on a range of social justice issues.
ReThink Media is a unique, nonprofit organization that places media and communications at the center of our movement building agenda. We strengthen the collaborative media and communications capacity of state and national advocacy groups; increase the “voice share” of their spokespeople; and provide in-depth media, messaging, and opinion research to inform movement strategy.
We focus on long-term engagement with our advocacy partners and with the issues we take on—all driven by a belief that the stronger the groups are across an issue sector and the tighter their collaboration, the more likely they are to win real and lasting policy victories. At present, ReThink works in three distinct, yet interconnected, issue areas: the protection of human and civil rights; strengthening our democracy; and a more constructive US foreign and national security policy.
ReThink Media’s Research & Analysis Team conducts message testing and public opinion research, tracks public polling, analyzes media coverage and social media conversations about our issues, and manages data about our programs’ impact.
ReThink Media’s paid internship program provides talented undergraduate and graduate students (and recent students) with hands-on experience in the field of issue advocacy communications and applied research and analysis.
The intern will apply their skills in text analysis and machine learning to build and refine classifiers and machine learning models to analyze the content of news articles, leveraging ReThink Media's proprietary, hand-annotated media databases.
Current projects include models/classifiers to differentiate between news and opinion articles, extract quotes, identify types of speakers and their gender, and identify the topic of quotes. The intern will build on the work of past interns and student researchers, as well as explore novel questions.
Additional projects could also include:
- Making updates and improvements to the R code we use to analyze ReThink’s survey data. This could include adding new features to the R Shiny apps we use to display our survey results.
- Exploring the role of social media in advocacy communications, e.g. collecting and analyzing social media and news data to assess how social media sets the agenda for traditional media, and vice versa
The intern will work closely with the Director of Research and Analysis, and with other members of the core team and program staff.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience using Python and/or R for data wrangling and data analysis. The existing code for our news article classifiers/models is in Python
- Knowledge of Python and/or R libraries/packages for data wrangling, analysis and visualization, e.g. pandas, the tidyverse
- Interest in text analysis and Natural Language Processing
- Experience or coursework in machine learning
- Interest in using research and data to impact social movements and public policy
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve
- Ability to work independently in a remote work environment
Desirable but not required:
- Interest and/or training in media analysis, messaging/framing or communications
- Experience using GitHub for version control and collaboration
- Experience with databases and database design, e.g. MongoDB
We are looking to hire candidates for a remote position for Summer 2022. The internship will be for approximately 8-10 weeks. Successful candidates may have the opportunity to continue with a part-time internship during the school year. For interns based in the San Francisco Bay Area, there will be the option of in-person meetings with ReThink Media staff, if desired.
Hours and Compensation
This internship will be full-time, 40 hours per week. The rate of compensation is $20-25 per hour, depending on experience.
To apply, send an email to [email protected], Subject: Data Science Intern. Please include your résumé and a cover letter that provides a brief summary of your background, the reasons you feel you would be a good fit for the position, and why you wish to work for ReThink Media. We strongly prefer receiving application materials in PDF.
For priority consideration, please apply by April 24th.