Director (or Deputy Director) of Programs
ReThink Media is a unique nonprofit that works to build movements, their power, and their impact through the medium of communications. This means working to align messages and provide capacity-building support across an entire issue sector. It means helping organizations who are doing great work, but do not have the resources or staff to maximize their potential. And it means monitoring the issues 24/7 and helping organizations and community members respond quickly to media opportunities and unforeseen crises.
Our work involves creating deep partnerships. We do media skills training, then follow up with folks to put the skills into action. We do media and opinion analysis, then follow through with support to drive tested messages and adapt partners’ media strategies. And we help our partner organizations achieve hundreds of media placements every year. You can read more here.
Across all our program areas, we are also committed to advancing a vision of equity and inclusion. Who gets heard in the media matters enormously. It matters to audiences, it matters to policymakers, and it matters to shaping the contours of debate. Our Voiceshare Initiative supports under-represented and under-heard voices, tracks their coverage, and creates systems to hold the media accountable to fair representation.
At present, we have four teams: Peace & Security, Rights & Inclusion, Voting Rights, and Inclusive Democracy (see website for further details). Each team has a Program Director who leads 2–5 teammates. The teams use similar tools and tactics, each with their own tailored issue focus and relationships. It is possible that we will add other issue areas, but in all cases our work will follow our model of deep, multi-year commitments to capacity-building.
We currently have unique flexibility in considering candidates who might serve as either our Director of Programs (after considerable on-boarding with our co-founder and current Director of Programs) or as Deputy Director (working under the supervision of the current Director of Programs). Director candidates should have a minimum of ten years’ experience in progressive advocacy and strategic communications. Deputy Director candidates should have a minimum of eight years’ experience. Substantial management and supervision experience is a must.
In both cases, the position will have senior level responsibility for managing the full scope of ReThink’s program work. This will involve supervising the Directors of each team, working to craft annual and longer-term strategies, coordinating program work with of our unique media and opinion analysis team, overseeing professional development, and participating in agenda setting for the organization as a whole.
After extensive on-boarding, the Director would assume supervision of ReThink’s four program teams. The Deputy Director will, in essence, be a Director of Programs-in-training and their distinct decision-making roles will be defined on a case-by-case basis in coordination with the current Director of Programs. Specific goals will correspond to the following duties:
- Play a leading role in guiding ReThink's four program teams, through weekly check-ins with each Program Director and ensuring effective weekly team meetings.
- Support Program Directors in recruiting, training, supervising, and reviewing staff. Work with them to advance the professional development of their respective team members.
- Help craft high-impact communications strategies to meet the needs of partner organizations and coalition campaigns in each program area.
- Liaise with funding partners alongside the current Director of Programs and the Executive Director. Ensure that all grant deadlines are met, and deliverables achieved.
- Ensure that teams are effectively responding to rapid-response opportunities or crisis moments, whether foreseen or not, by drafting timely and effective talking points, message guidance, commentary, and social media responses.
- Work in collaboration with the Research & Analysis Team on longer-term research projects, such as media and public opinion audits; coverage analysis of specific issues, frames, and outlets; message-testing; and the development of media accountability campaigns.
- Provide expert training to member organizations and spokespeople in media skills, such as conducting effective broadcast interviews, writing op-eds, engaging editorial boards, and driving social media strategies.
- Work with the Chief of Staff to ensure the consistency of ReThink personnel policies and established work protocols, culture, and professional expectations.
- Serve as a member of the organization’s senior leadership team (this includes the two co-founders, the Chief of Staff, the Finance Director, and the Director of Communications & Partnerships).
- Identify communications needs and capacity gaps in each program area and develop strategies to address those needs.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- A commitment to social and racial justice and equity.
- A minimum of eight years’ experience working in communications strategy, community or political organizing, campaigns, or all of the above.
- A demonstrable record of successful and significant staff management (this position has four direct reports but oversees 15–20 staff).
- Superior writing, editing, communications, and public presentation skills.
- A proven record of effective coalition-building or management of multi-organizational campaigns.
- Experience monitoring and analyzing news coverage and developing media strategies.
- A creative and strategic ability to frame ideas, develop stories, and synthesize complex policy issues in a way that appeals to the news media and a wide variety of audiences.
- Excellent news sense and political savvy.
- Strong training and leadership development skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, with varying levels of organization staff, clients, contractors, foundations, and the media.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments.
Desired But Not Required
- Experience with Cision, Muck Rack, MailChimp, CRMs, Torch, Sprout Social, and/or Zoom.
- Fluency in a second language.
- Experience managing managers.
Location, Benefits, and Salary
This is a remote, full-time position. The position will require occasional travel to staff and planning meetings, and to presentations and trainings. ReThink aims to recruit the best people for every position, and we have recently moved to an all-remote staffing model. Applicants are welcome from across the country but in all cases, ReThink requires employees to live within 90 minutes of a major airport to facilitate occasional travel. The salary range listed below pertains to employees in Washington, DC and might be adjusted for candidates in locations with significantly lower costs of living.
ReThink Media is committed to pay equity and transparency in our salary, raise, and benefits structure. All staff receive an annual 360º performance review and ReThink is strongly committed to internal and external professional development. We aim to attract, develop, and retain diverse, talented, and growth-minded staff.
This is a senior position that comes with generous benefits, vacation, health savings, sabbatical, and retirement package. Salary is commensurate with experience and, if the employee is based in the Washington, DC, the starting salary range for a Deputy Director of Programs is $105,000–$115,000 per year; the starting salary range for a Director of Programs is $120,000–130,000 per year.
To apply, please follow these instructions carefully. Send your resume as a PDF attachment and make sure to include your name in the title of the attachment (e.g., resume-Jones.pdf). Also include a Cover Letter specifying whether you are applying for Deputy Director of Programs or Director of Programs, stating the reason for your interest in the position and providing a summary of your professional experience including management and supervision.
Make sure to include your name in the title of the attachment (e.g., CoverLetter-Jones.pdf). Email your application to [email protected], Subject: Director of Programs.
We believe in treating people with respect and all applications will be acknowledged. Qualified applicants will be asked to complete a brief questionnaire prior to the scheduling of interviews.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
ReThink Media is an equal opportunity employer and it is a fundamental policy of the Organization not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (including religious dress and personal appearance), political affiliation, sex (including pregnancy, breastfeeding women, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and expression) legally protected medical condition, family care or medical leave status, military or veteran status, marital status, genetic information, genetic expression or any other basis protected by state or federal laws. Reasonable accommodation, when necessary, for disabled employees and pregnant employees who request an accommodation with respect to recruitment, hiring, training, promotion and other terms and conditions of employment.
ReThink is committed to a just and equitable society wherein all people are treated equally, opportunity is justly distributed, and all voices are heard. We affirm and seek diversity in gender, race, color, ethnicity & national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), class, religion, ability, life experiences, and background as both a positive contribution to our organizational environment and a critical asset for informing and enabling our work. With this in mind, we are committed to maintaining a work environment that recognizes, understands, respects, and encourages the unique contributions of each member and we approach every hiring decision with a commitment to workplace diversity.