Intern, Peace & Security
ReThink Media seeks a Peace and Security Intern to support their Peace and Security Team. ReThink's Peace and Security Team partners with the nation’s foremost leaders and experts to inform and advocate for progressive, human-oriented solutions to some of the most complex and challenging national security issues of the 21st century. The issues we work on include: nuclear nonproliferation and disarmament, arms control, reducing defense spending, and the militarization of foreign policy, ending America’s post-9/11wars, and reigning in the opaque and unaccountable use of force.
ReThink Media’s paid internship program provides talented undergraduate and graduate students in traditional and digital media and communications, journalism, design and data visualization, media and public opinion research and analysis, website management and tech support, and non-profit management, with hands-on experience in the field of issue advocacy communications. Interns are trained and mentored by experienced professionals and gain real-work experience in applying the latest media tools and strategies in addressing some of the most prominent issue campaigns of our day. Interns also get the chance to work and develop contacts with many of the leading nonprofits and experts in the country.
The Peace and Security Intern will work directly with senior staff and will have the opportunity to sit in on high level planning meetings as well as work on long and short term strategic communication campaigns. Interns will leave ReThink with new media skills, new subject matter expertise, and new relationships with key groups in the peace and security space.
Responsibilities May Include
- Monitoring news media for relevant stories
- Assist with pitching and placement of spokespeople and content, developing online strategies, and tracking our efforts
- Developing tailored press lists and identifying additional outlets/reporters to target
- Assist team with hands-on skills trainings to member organizations and spokespeople, such as conducting effective broadcast interviews, writing op-eds, engaging editorial boards, driving social media strategies, and others
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong writing, editing, and communications skills
- Excellent news sense and political savvy
- An ability to think creatively and strategically about communicating ideas
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments
- Knowledge of social media
Desirable but not required:
- Experience monitoring and analyzing news coverage, writing press materials, developing media strategies and/or pitching stories
- Knowledge of print, broadcast and digital news media
- Familiarity with peace and security policy areas
- Graphic design/layout experience
Location, Hours and Compensation
ReThink Media interns are expected to work at least 20 hours per week (although less time may be considered in special circumstances). This internship will be for a three-month term starting in late May, depending on intern availability. The current rate of compensation for Interns is $16.50-18.50 per hour.
Due to the pandemic, this position will be fully remote, but candidates must be based in the United States (with a preference for candidates based in Washington, DC; Maryland; Virginia; California; or Washington State).
We are moving quickly to fill this position and are assessing candidates on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply by Friday, May 7th. This position is open until filled.
ReThink Media is an equal opportunity employer and an inclusive organization. People of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, send an email to [email protected], Subject: Peace and Security Intern. Please include your cover letter, résumé, and two (2) writing samples as PDF attachments, with your name in each filename (e.g., resume-Smith.pdf).