ReThink is a unique, nonprofit organization that strengthens movements through building collaborative media and communications capacity, increasing the voice share of spokespeople, experts, and allies, and providing in-depth media, messaging, and opinion research to inform movement strategy. At present, ReThink works in three distinct, yet interconnected, issue areas: the protection of human and civil rights, strengthening our democracy, and for a more constructive U.S. foreign and national security policy.
FULL-TIME STAFF POSITIONS
Job Announcement: Media Associate, Peace & Security Collaborative
ReThink Media is a unique non-profit organization focused on building the communications capacity of nonprofit think tanks, experts, and advocacy groups working toward a more constructive U.S. foreign and national security policy, protecting human and civil rights, and strengthening our democracy.
We are seeking passionate, qualified applicants for a Media Associate position with our Peace and Security Collaborative. This team provides communications support and consulting advice on issues of US foreign policy and national security— specifically for leading experts and organizations advocating to prevent a nuclear catastrophe, end America’s ongoing wars, and shape a new kind of US foreign policy.
This position sits at the nexus of traditional and digital media, national security, politics, and policy. Successful applicants must demonstrate an ability to understand how these complex universes inform advocacy communications strategies in real time.
The Media Associate will report directly to the Managing Director of the Peace and Security Collaborative and is responsible for assisting, coordinating, and training partners in a full range of communications needs. This includes monitoring news coverage to identify trends and opportunities to respond, tracking key reporters covering relevant issue areas, building and maintaining press lists, and assisting with the pitching and placement of content and/or spokespeople.
Additionally, ReThink Media monitors all available public opinion polls on our issues and analyzes messaging on traditional and social media. The Media Associate will work with the Managing Director and other staff with ongoing research tasks along these lines.
The ideal candidate will be digitally savvy and have 1-3 years of experience working in the fields of media, communications, press, or public relations— and demonstrate a commitment to the aforementioned issue areas.
Experience working in campaign or advocacy communications, as a Hill or NGO communications staffer, or in pitching and placing content and/ or spokespeople in the media is a plus.
Specific goals will be set quarterly, corresponding to the following duties:
- Monitor daily news, opinion, and social media coverage from the sector in order to identify key response opportunities. Draft daily clips related to Peace and Security top news stories.
- Assist in developing talking points, messaging tips, op-eds, and letters-to-the-editor in response to either breaking news or upcoming media opportunities.
- Integrate digital strategy in, and create relevant social media content for, communications campaigns and rapid response moments as needed. Provide social media analysis to strategically inform ongoing online engagement strategies.
- Develop relationships with key reporters and outlets covering the issues. Create and maintain press lists, while assisting partner organizations in how to develop and maintain their own lists.
- Build expertise on our groups’ unique organizational media profiles, key spokespeople, and areas of policy expertise in order to quickly identify the best organizations/ experts to place in different media moments.
- Identify opportunities for multi-organizational collaborative media actions to support ongoing campaigns and issue initiatives. These can include developing and implementing rapid response coordination mechanisms, strategies for pitching and placement of spokespeople/ content, outreach to Hill communications staff, written content (op-eds, LTEs, editorials) initiatives, and developing digital media strategies.
- Support the communications capacity and organizational media work of partner organizations. This can include developing a strategic communications plan, media trainings, building press lists, developing and editing content, pitching and placement, audits of coverage, and creating comprehensive expert profiles.
- Assist with longer-term research projects such as analysis of issue-specific frames in media coverage, audits of public opinion polls, and examination of editorial coverage.
- Train targeted experts and groups in building rapid response media capacity including writing and placing op-eds, outreach to editorial boards, and developing editorial packets.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, Advertising, or other applicable field, or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 1-3 years experience working in a communications or PR capacity. Experience working as a Hill or NGO communications staffer, in campaign or advocacy communications, or in pitching and placing content and/or spokespeople strongly desired.
- Experience monitoring and analyzing news coverage, writing press materials, developing traditional and social media strategies and/or pitching stories.
- Strong writing, editing, communications, and presentation skills.
- A creative and strategic ability to frame ideas, develop stories and synthesize complex policy issues in a way that appeals to the news media and a wide variety of audiences.
- Experience with digital content and design for social media, including an ability to capitalize on trends; produce compelling graphics and analyze metrics and performance.
- Demonstrated experience in public interest communications, public relations or advertising, with preference for experience in advocacy/political public relations.
- Excellent news sense and political savvy.
- Knowledge of print, broadcast, and electronic news media.
- A proven track record managing a fast-paced, multi-faceted workload, ideally involving media and communications and/or client relations.
- Strong training, mentoring, and/or supervisory skills
- Proven track record as a strong team player, in team building, and in project management skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, with varying levels of organization staff, clients, contractors, foundations and the media.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments.
- Strong research and administrative skills.
This is a full-time position based in our Washington, DC office with occasional travel to our California office and other states for conferences, funder meetings, training workshops, and periodic staff meetings.
The final deadline to apply for this position is Monday, February 4th at 12:01am, but we are examining applications as they come in. While our number one priority is finding the ideal candidate, we are moving quickly to fill this position, so we encourage you to apply as promptly as possible.
All applications will be acknowledged, but please, no phone calls. To apply, please send a cover letter and your resume to [email protected]
The salary range for this position is $50-60k. ReThink provides extensive benefits including health/dental care, vacation, 403B, sabbatical, parental leave, professional development, etc. Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] Be sure to save both documents with your name in the title and include the words “Peace and Security Media Associate” in the subject line of your email.
Job Announcement: Senior Associate, Rights and Inclusion Collaborative
ReThink Media seeks a talented and committed media and communications strategist to join our Rights and Inclusion team. This is a unique opportunity to work at the center of the broader Muslim, Arab, Sikh and South Asian (MASA) movement and to strengthen the media engagement of organizations across that sector and coast to coast. The ideal candidate will be an emerging leader who is ready to work alongside groups to communicate an effective vision of an America where all voices are equally heard and diverse communities are treated with dignity, fairness, and respect.
ReThink is a unique, nonprofit organization that strengthens movements through building the collaborative media and communications capacity of state and national advocacy groups, increasing the voice share of their spokespeople, experts, and allies, and providing in-depth media, messaging, and opinion research to inform movement strategy. Working with our funding partners, we focus on long-term engagement with the groups we work with and the issues we take on – all driven by a belief that the stronger the groups are across an issue sector and the tighter their collaboration, the more likely they are to win real and lasting policy victories. At present, ReThink works in three distinct, yet interconnected, issue areas: the protection of human and civil rights, strengthening our democracy, and a more constructive U.S. foreign and national security policy.
ReThink's Rights and Inclusion team works with Muslim, Arab, Sikh, and South Asian American communities across the country, with U.S.-based Muslim and non-Muslim allies promoting cultural equity and inclusion in the arts, and with allies opposing anti-Muslim prejudice, including interfaith, business, civic, and veteran’s groups. Advancing the rights of individuals to be free from discrimination, anti-Muslim prejudice, racial and religious profiling, and unwarranted surveillance and suspicion is vital to building an inclusive and representative democracy.
The Senior Associate
The Senior Associate, under the supervision of the Managing Director for Rights and Inclusion will play a central role in our work within this sector. In this position, the Senior Associate will develop strong relationships between leading reporters covering this issue and the groups and experts from the sector, provide media and spokesperson training, build organizations’ media outreach and rapid response capacity, facilitate the distribution of media and opinion analysis, and support multi-organizational communications initiatives.
Our experience has proven that by providing shared resources, eliminating duplication of efforts among organizations, developing agreed-upon overarching messages, and providing consistent high-quality consulting advice and staff support, we can successfully impact media discourse and move issues forward. While we value and affirm the importance of differentiation amongst advocacy organizations, we work to reduce competition for media attention because it often detracts from a sector achieving its maximum potential.
The Senior Associate will be a part of a team of five communications professionals and take particular responsibility for Muslim, Arab, Sikh and South Asian organization’s issues. Additionally, they will work closely with ReThink’s Analysis Team (public opinion, media framing, message development) and our Digital Director (strategy and analysis of digital work).
The ideal candidate will be a highly ambitious mid-career level organizer with particular experience and interest in working in media and communications with a minimum of 5-8 years of experience working in the field of advocacy, political or campaign communications, and/or public relations and will have a strong understanding of the workings of the non-profit research and advocacy community. S/he will have direct experience and/or demonstrated commitment to the issues of the collaborative and an understanding of the organizations working in this field. Experience working as a Capitol Hill or NGO communications staffer and successfully pitching and placing content and/or spokespeople in the media is preferred.
Specific goals will be set quarterly, corresponding to the following duties:
- Work closely with the Managing Director for Rights and Inclusion and ReThink’s co-founders on annual work plans to achieve organizational objectives and grant deliverables.
- Assist in the development of annual grant proposals and prepare regular progress reports and briefings of key stakeholders and funders of the collaborative.
- Serve as a point of contact with organizations served by the collaborative, helping to support media strategies that will have the greatest positive impact for organizations and campaigns.
- Act as an editor for the quality of content produced by the RIC team.
- Assist with messaging and talking points, shared press lists, training materials and presentations, media and rapid response resources and engagement on listservs, and any other guides or publications.
- Develop expertise regarding the issues and organizations served by the collaborative, the issues they work on, their unique media profiles, key spokespeople, areas of expertise, and their access to outside validators.
- Develop expertise regarding the leading journalists addressing these issues.
- Keep abreast of the evolving media landscape and help identify media opportunities for organizations. Be able to quickly identify the most appropriate organizations or experts to connect to a reporter, provide spokespeople, write an op-ed, etc.
- Assist in the delivery of high-quality skills trainings to improve the core media skills of key leaders, spokespeople, and communications staff.
- Facilitate the use by our allied organizations of a range of media tools, including a media database, distribution system, and news clipping service.
- Participate in longer-term research initiatives such as message testing and media and public opinion audits.
- Facilitate rapid response media engagement, monitor coverage to identify and coordinate joint responses to breaking news developments.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- A proven commitment to advancing a social justice agenda.
- Experience developing and executing innovative campaigns, capitalize on media opportunities, and drive policy objectives via the media.
- Strong writing and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience in communications strategy with a strong preference for experience in advocacy/political public relations.
- Detail-orientation and a proven track record working in a very fast-paced, multi-faceted work environment, ideally involving media and communications and/or coalition relations.
- Knowledge of print, broadcast, online and social media.
- Demonstrated knowledge and background in the issues of the Muslim, Arab, Sikh and South Asian sector.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with varying levels of organizational staff, clients, contractors, and foundations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or other applicable field, or demonstrated equivalent experience.
This is a full-time position based in our Washington, DC office. The position will require travel to conferences, training workshops, and to provide hands-on support to state-based campaigns, as well as travel to staff and planning meetings. Planning meetings will most commonly be held at our head office in California.
This position is open until filled and candidates are applying on a rolling basis. Our number one priority is finding the ideal candidate, but we are moving quickly to fill this position, so we encourage you to apply as promptly as possible. All applications will be acknowledged, but please, no phone calls. To apply, please send a cover letter and your resume to [email protected]
The salary range for this position is $60 - $70K and ReThink provides extensive benefits including health/dental care, vacation, 403B, sabbatical, parental leave, professional development, etc. Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Be sure to save both documents with your name in the title and include the words “RIC Senior Associate” in the subject line of your email.
RETHINK MEDIA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
ReThink is committed to a just and equitable society wherein all people are treated equally, opportunity is justly distributed, and all voices are heard. We affirm and seek diversity in gender, race, color, ethnicity & national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), class, religion, ability, life experiences, and background as both a positive contribution to our organizational environment and a critical asset for informing and enabling our work. With this in mind, we are committed to maintaining a work environment that recognizes, understands, respects, and encourages the unique contributions of each member and we approach every hiring decision with a commitment to workplace diversity.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
ReThink Media is an equal opportunity employer grounded in progressive political values. We embrace applicants of any race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related) or conditions Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions (ARC). Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.