ReThink Media is a unique, nonprofit organization that strengthens movements. We help build the collaborative media and communications capacity of state and national advocacy groups; increase the voice share of their spokespeople, experts, and allies; and provide in-depth media, messaging, and opinion research to inform movement strategy. Working with our funding partners, we focus on long-term engagement with our advocacy partners and with the issues we take on—all driven by a belief that the stronger the groups are across an issue sector and the tighter their collaboration, the more likely they are to win real and lasting policy victories. At present, ReThink works in three distinct, yet interconnected, issue areas: the protection of human and civil rights; strengthening our democracy; and a more constructive US foreign and national security policy.
FULL-TIME STAFF POSITIONS
Currently accepting applications for:
ReThink’s Research & Analysis team works across all three issue sets to provide in-depth media, messaging, and public opinion research and to produce actionable, strategic analysis on the impact of ReThink’s and our partners’ work. This includes using a wide variety of media monitoring tools and social science methodologies, as well as managing the organization’s impact tracking and data.
ReThink Media seeks a talented, insightful, and accomplished analyst with a strong background in measurement and data management to join our growing Analysis team as Associate Director of Research & Analysis. The ideal candidate will have at least five years of experience in a nonprofit issue advocacy setting, with hands-on experience in media, public opinion, and/or program measurement work. The ideal candidate will be eager to lead in a data-driven organization fighting for security, rights, and democracy in the United States and around the world.
We are looking for someone with passion for quantitative and qualitative analysis and its real-world applications. The primary functions of this role are to provide actionable insights to our advocacy partners and to enable ReThink Media to tell its story through data collection, maintenance, analysis, and reporting.
Insights into how the media covers political and social issues, how the public thinks about them, and where communications strategy can create change form the backbone of the ReThink model. The Analysis team maintains five proprietary media databases and examines public and proprietary polling, message-testing research, and other data on social and traditional media—all with the aim of providing actionable intelligence to our partners.
In addition to analyzing external metrics of our impact, the Analysis team is expanding into a role managing internal measurements, including creating new systems for the whole organization to use in collecting and reporting on our own data.
The Associate Director will supervise one or more associates, and interns as needed. This position reports to the Director of Media & Opinion Analysis. Research & Analysis is a central team that works with each program team in the organization and is overseen by the Chief of Staff.
We are seeking a highly-motivated, self-starting, and detail-oriented person to ensure that ReThink’s data is collected and maintained in such a way that it supports the intel and reporting needs of our staff. The Associate Director of Research and Analysis will join a team that supports three diverse issue areas, juggling priorities and working in consultation with colleagues, and will be responsible for managing projects and delivering analysis to these colleagues, to funding partners, and to advocacy communities. The Associate Director will play a key role in using data and analysis tools to evaluate the impact and effectiveness of ReThink itself.
Ideal applicants will have advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and be able to handle a high volume of work quickly and efficiently, with excellent recall and superior attention to detail. Candidates should have strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills and excellent judgement and work ethic. The candidate must be flexible, adaptable, and solutions-oriented. This position is ideal for someone who has the ability to see the “big picture” while managing multiple small projects, who takes initiative, and who enjoys learning and contributing in a fast-paced environment.
ReThink’s approach to communications is grounded in movement-building. Our goal is to demonstrably help organizations become stronger, faster, more agile, and more effective in their media work.
Goals will be set quarterly, corresponding to the following duties:
- Oversee the Analysis team’s project management and delivery across multiple issue areas and grants, in partnership with the Director of Analysis;
- Oversee the maintenance and development of ReThink’s five proprietary media databases;
- Oversee the Analysis team’s daily poll-tracking and alerts;
- Oversee the production of regular polling bulletins, post-hoc media analyses, and message guidance;
- Maintain and help create the spreadsheets, forms, and databases that make up our central data management system;
- Manage dashboards, reports, forms, templates, page layouts, and workflows;
- Collect data from the program teams and ensure the data is entered into our central data management system accurately and completely;
- Create customized dashboards and reports for various internal and external audiences;
- Accurately perform data entry, conduct online research, and prepare documents for meetings;
- Draw from the experience and daily work of other ReThink staff to provide context, gut-checks, collaboration, and additional information for analysis pieces;
- Work in collaboration with the Director of Analysis, Director of Campaigns, Managing Directors of each collaborative team, and others to plan and manage the Analysis team’s workplan;
- In partnership with the Director of Analysis, manage the recruitment and supervision of Research and Analysis Associates, interns, and fellows;
- Flexibly take on other projects as needed.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Commitment to social justice, civil and human rights, global peace and security, and a genuinely inclusive democracy;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
- 5–7 years of experience working in nonprofits and advocacy, including 2+ years of professional data management, measurement and evaluation, or related experience;
- Advanced working knowledge of MS Office, with strong word-processing, Excel, database, and internet research skills;
- High degree of proficiency in two of these three areas: public opinion analysis, media/social media analysis, data management;
- Superior writing, editing, communications, and presentation skills, including strong proofreading skills;
- A proven record successful of staff and project management;
- Ability to assess and prioritize projects based on strategic goals;
- Conscientious (obsessive?) about details with highly organized processes;
- Collaborative attitude and ability to work with partners across an organization;
- Knowledge of data collection and analysis methodologies;
- Familiarity with Tableau or similar data analysis and visualization software;
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, with varying levels of organization staff, clients, contractors, and foundations;
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments;
- 1+ years as a Salesforce Administrator, Salesforce Certified Administrator or Developer a plus;
- Experience with NetBase, Cision, Meltwater, Zoom, Drupal, MailChimp, HubSpot, and/or Trello a plus;
- Experience in social media measurement and analysis a plus;
- Python and/or Natural Language Processing a plus;
- Experience with language analysis or cognitive linguistics a plus;
- Experience in messaging and framing analysis a plus;
- Experience in polling or analyzing opinion research on diverse and underrepresented communities a plus;
- Spanish language skills a plus.
Location, Benefits, & Salary
This is a full-time position, ideally based in our San Francisco Bay Area office. For the right candidate, we may consider someone based in our Washington, DC office. The position includes moderate travel to presentations, training workshops, and staff meetings.
Every position at ReThink offers a generous benefits package. Our benefits include vacation starting at three and growing to five weeks per year; medical, dental, a vision coverage; a paid sabbatical after the seventh year; 403(b) retirement fund with employer match; a health reimbursement and flex savings account; and other benefits.
ReThink Media has a strong commitment to staff support, development, and advancement. We provide opportunities for our staff to learn new skills and develop new areas of competency, including advancing to new roles within the organization as their careers develop. While working in a communications organization necessitates some long hours in crisis/rapid response situations, we are strongly committed to balancing hard work with flexible time off and supportive policies that sustain our staff in our long-term commitment to movement-building.
Salary is commensurate with experience and will be in the range of $75,000–85,000 plus benefits.
To apply, send an email to [email protected], Subject: Associate Director of Research & Analysis, stating your interest in the position and providing a brief summary of your background, the reasons you feel you would be good for the position, and your résumé. Please include your cover letter and résumé as attachments, with your name in each filename (e.g., resume-Smith.pdf).
If you have applied for a previous position with ReThink Media, please indicate this in your email.
RETHINK MEDIA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
ReThink is committed to a just and equitable society wherein all people are treated equally, opportunity is justly distributed, and all voices are heard. We affirm and seek diversity in gender, race, color, ethnicity & national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), class, religion, ability, life experiences, and background as both a positive contribution to our organizational environment and a critical asset for informing and enabling our work. With this in mind, we are committed to maintaining a work environment that recognizes, understands, respects, and encourages the unique contributions of each member and we approach every hiring decision with a commitment to workplace diversity.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
ReThink Media is an equal opportunity employer grounded in progressive political values. We embrace applicants of any race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related) or conditions Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions (ARC). Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.