FULL-TIME STAFF POSITIONS
Currently accepting applications for:
Program Director, Rights & Inclusion
2020 will be a pivotal year for Muslim, Arab, Sikh and South Asian Americans and indeed, for all Americans who believe in a pluralistic, just, and inclusive society where every person is treated with dignity and respect.
While some politicians have exploited prejudice and fear for their own self-interest, impacted communities and their allies have pushed back, built power for their organizations, and struggled against policies grounded in bigotry. Overturning the Muslim Ban will most likely be decided by the end of 2020 and the context of the political debate will define much of the struggle to advance the rights of individuals to be free from discrimination, anti-Muslim prejudice, racial and religious profiling, and unwarranted surveillance and suspicion.
ReThink Media seeks a passionate and high-performing advocate to lead our Rights and Inclusion program – supervising a team of communications professionals, working alongside our outstanding Media and Opinion Analysis team, and drawing upon the media skills and extensive contacts of our full staff. Our Rights and Inclusion team works with dozens of Muslim, Arab, Sikh, and South Asian American communities across the country, with U.S.-based Muslim and non-Muslim allies promoting cultural equity and inclusion in the arts, and with allies supporting these goals, including interfaith, business, civic, and veteran’s groups.
This is also a unique moment where we can either hire a seasoned senior leader who is ready to start in the Program Director role immediately or an Associate Director who can be mentored for 6-9 months with the expectation that they will grow into the Director role in that time.
The Program Director, in coordination with the Director of Strategy and the Executive Director, will serve as the organizational lead for all of our work within this sector. In this senior level position, the Program Director will oversee initiatives to develop shared media and messaging strategies, provide media and spokesperson training, build organizations’ media outreach and rapid response capacity, provide groups with media and opinion analysis, and support multi-organizational communications initiatives and campaigns.
The ideal candidate will be a highly ambitious and motivated communications strategist with a minimum of six or more years of experience working in the field of advocacy, political or campaign communications and will have a sophisticated understanding of the workings of the non-profit research and advocacy community. They will have direct experience and/or demonstrated commitment to the issues of the collaborative and an understanding of the organizations working in this field. They will also have a proven track record of project management and a demonstrated pattern of innovation and creativity. Strong management skills are critical. Experience working as a Capitol Hill or NGO communications staffer, supervising or managing a communications team or campaign, and/or a proven track record in developing media outreach strategies, and successfully pitching and placing content and/or spokespeople in the media is preferred.
Specific goals will be set quarterly, corresponding to the following duties:
- Develop annual work plans to achieve organizational objectives and grant deliverables. Meet regularly with the Director of Strategy and the Deputy Director of Strategy to discuss work, adapt and reevaluate plans, respond to breaking events, etc.
- Serve on ReThink’s senior management team. Participate in setting organizational policies, establishing strategic priorities, advancing organizational development plans, etc.
- Effectively supervise and lead a dedicated team of communications professionals. Facilitate ongoing check-ins and planning meetings, conduct annual performance reviews, manage the hiring process for any new hires, ensure adherence to organizational policies and values, and develop written professional development plans for each team member.
- Assist in the development of annual grant proposals and prepare regular progress reports and briefings of key stakeholders and funders of the collaborative.
- Serve as a primary point of contact with organizations served by the collaborative, helping to set priorities and identify media strategies that will have the greatest positive impact for organizations and campaigns.
- Act as the final editor for the quality of all content produced by the Rights and Inclusion team including daily news clips, messaging and talking points, shared press lists, training materials and presentations, media and rapid response resources and engagement on listservs, and any other guides or publications.
- Develop expertise regarding the issues and organizations served by the collaborative, the issues they work on, their unique media profiles, key spokespeople, areas of expertise, and their access to outside validators.
- Keep abreast of the evolving media landscape and identify media opportunities for organizations. Be able to quickly identify the most appropriate organizations or experts to connect to a reporter, provide spokespeople, write an op-ed, etc.
- Coordinate opportunities for multi-organizational media engagement and support ongoing campaigns and policy initiatives.
- Manage the delivery of high quality media skills training to improve the core skills of key leaders from the field.
- Facilitate the use by our allied organizations of a range of media tools, including a media database, distribution system, and news clipping service.
- Participate in longer-term research initiatives such as message testing and media and public opinion audits; coordinate between ReThink’s research team or outside consultants and member organizations to ensure that research is aligned with the field’s needs.
- Facilitate rapid response media engagement, using coverage monitoring to identify and coordinate joint responses to breaking news developments.
NOTE: We are open to the possibility of hiring an Associate Director who will be coached and mentored in all of the above with the expectation that they will assume primary responsibility for the work after six to nine months.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- A strong commitment to advancing a social justice agenda.
- Ambition to develop and execute innovative campaigns, capitalize on media opportunities, and drive policy objectives via the media.
- The ability to be substantially self-directed and self-reliant and to drive work forward following consultations on broad strategic objectives.
- Strong writing and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience in communications strategy and campaign management.
- Strong facilitation and project management skills.
- Detail-orientation and a proven track record working in a very fast-paced, multi-faceted work environment, ideally involving media and communications and/or coalition relations.
- Strong supervisory skills with experience effectively managing and mentoring others.
- Knowledge of print, broadcast, online and social media.
- Demonstrated knowledge and background in the major issues facing Muslims, Arabs, Sikhs, and South Asians in the United States.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with varying levels of organizational staff, clients, contractors, and foundations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or other applicable field, or demonstrated equivalent experience.
Location, Benefits, & Salary
This is a full-time position based in either our Washington, DC or SF Bay Area office, with a modest preference for the former. Roughly 45% of ReThink’s staff is in California, 45% in DC, and 10% in other states. Applicants must be comfortable with the requirements of remote management. The position will require moderate travel to conferences and training workshops, as well as staff and planning meetings. Candidates should have at least six years of full-time experience in advocacy communications.
The salary range for this position is $80,000–95,000. Benefits and related issues will be shared with qualified candidates prior to interviews.
This position is open until filled and candidates are applying on a rolling basis. Our number one priority is finding the ideal candidate, but we are moving quickly to fill this position, so we encourage you to apply as promptly as possible. All applications will be acknowledged, but please, no phone calls. To apply, send an email to [email protected], and include the words “Program Director-R&I” in the subject line of your email. Include your resume and cover letter as PDF attachments and make sure to have your name in the filename of each attachment (e.g., cover letter-Jones.pdf).
Join our team, check out our fellowship and internship program
RETHINK MEDIA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
ReThink is committed to a just and equitable society wherein all people are treated equally, opportunity is justly distributed, and all voices are heard. We affirm and seek diversity in gender, race, color, ethnicity & national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), class, religion, ability, life experiences, and background as both a positive contribution to our organizational environment and a critical asset for informing and enabling our work. With this in mind, we are committed to maintaining a work environment that recognizes, understands, respects, and encourages the unique contributions of each member and we approach every hiring decision with a commitment to workplace diversity.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
ReThink Media is an equal opportunity employer grounded in progressive political values. We embrace applicants of any race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related) or conditions Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions (ARC). Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.