ReThink Media is a unique, nonprofit organization that strengthens movements. We help build the collaborative media and communications capacity of state and national advocacy groups; increase the voice share of their spokespeople, experts, and allies; and provide in-depth media, messaging, and opinion research to inform movement strategy. Working with our funding partners, we focus on long-term engagement with our advocacy partners and with the issues we take on—all driven by a belief that the stronger the groups are across an issue sector and the tighter their collaboration, the more likely they are to win real and lasting policy victories. At present, ReThink works in three distinct, yet interconnected, issue areas: the protection of human and civil rights; strengthening our democracy; and a more constructive US foreign and national security policy.
FULL-TIME STAFF POSITIONS
Currently accepting applications for:
ReThink’s Research & Analysis team works across all three issue sets to provide in-depth media, messaging, and public opinion research and to produce actionable, strategic analysis on the impact of ReThink’s and our partners’ work. This includes using a wide variety of media monitoring tools and social science methodologies, as well as managing the organization’s impact tracking and data.
ReThink Media seeks a talented, insightful, and accomplished analyst with a strong background in measurement and data management to join our growing Analysis team as Associate Director of Research & Analysis. The ideal candidate will have at least five years of experience in a nonprofit issue advocacy setting, with hands-on experience in media, public opinion, and/or program measurement work. The ideal candidate will be eager to lead in a data-driven organization fighting for security, rights, and democracy in the United States and around the world.
We are looking for someone with passion for quantitative and qualitative analysis and its real-world applications. The primary functions of this role are to provide actionable insights to our advocacy partners and to enable ReThink Media to tell its story through data collection, maintenance, analysis, and reporting.
Insights into how the media covers political and social issues, how the public thinks about them, and where communications strategy can create change form the backbone of the ReThink model. The Analysis team maintains five proprietary media databases and examines public and proprietary polling, message-testing research, and other data on social and traditional media—all with the aim of providing actionable intelligence to our partners.
In addition to analyzing external metrics of our impact, the Analysis team is expanding into a role managing internal measurements, including creating new systems for the whole organization to use in collecting and reporting on our own data.
The Associate Director will supervise one or more associates, and interns as needed. This position reports to the Director of Media & Opinion Analysis. Research & Analysis is a central team that works with each program team in the organization and is overseen by the Chief of Staff.
We are seeking a highly-motivated, self-starting, and detail-oriented person to ensure that ReThink’s data is collected and maintained in such a way that it supports the intel and reporting needs of our staff. The Associate Director of Research and Analysis will join a team that supports three diverse issue areas, juggling priorities and working in consultation with colleagues, and will be responsible for managing projects and delivering analysis to these colleagues, to funding partners, and to advocacy communities. The Associate Director will play a key role in using data and analysis tools to evaluate the impact and effectiveness of ReThink itself.
Ideal applicants will have advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and be able to handle a high volume of work quickly and efficiently, with excellent recall and superior attention to detail. Candidates should have strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills and excellent judgement and work ethic. The candidate must be flexible, adaptable, and solutions-oriented. This position is ideal for someone who has the ability to see the “big picture” while managing multiple small projects, who takes initiative, and who enjoys learning and contributing in a fast-paced environment.
ReThink’s approach to communications is grounded in movement-building. Our goal is to demonstrably help organizations become stronger, faster, more agile, and more effective in their media work.
Goals will be set quarterly, corresponding to the following duties:
- Oversee the Analysis team’s project management and delivery across multiple issue areas and grants, in partnership with the Director of Analysis;
- Oversee the maintenance and development of ReThink’s five proprietary media databases;
- Oversee the Analysis team’s daily poll-tracking and alerts;
- Oversee the production of regular polling bulletins, post-hoc media analyses, and message guidance;
- Maintain and help create the spreadsheets, forms, and databases that make up our central data management system;
- Manage dashboards, reports, forms, templates, page layouts, and workflows;
- Collect data from the program teams and ensure the data is entered into our central data management system accurately and completely;
- Create customized dashboards and reports for various internal and external audiences;
- Accurately perform data entry, conduct online research, and prepare documents for meetings;
- Draw from the experience and daily work of other ReThink staff to provide context, gut-checks, collaboration, and additional information for analysis pieces;
- Work in collaboration with the Director of Analysis, Director of Campaigns, Managing Directors of each collaborative team, and others to plan and manage the Analysis team’s workplan;
- In partnership with the Director of Analysis, manage the recruitment and supervision of Research and Analysis Associates, interns, and fellows;
- Flexibly take on other projects as needed.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Commitment to social justice, civil and human rights, global peace and security, and a genuinely inclusive democracy;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
- 5–7 years of experience working in nonprofits and advocacy, including 2+ years of professional data management, measurement and evaluation, or related experience;
- Advanced working knowledge of MS Office, with strong word-processing, Excel, database, and internet research skills;
- High degree of proficiency in two of these three areas: public opinion analysis, media/social media analysis, data management;
- Superior writing, editing, communications, and presentation skills, including strong proofreading skills;
- A proven record successful of staff and project management;
- Ability to assess and prioritize projects based on strategic goals;
- Conscientious (obsessive?) about details with highly organized processes;
- Collaborative attitude and ability to work with partners across an organization;
- Knowledge of data collection and analysis methodologies;
- Familiarity with Tableau or similar data analysis and visualization software;
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, with varying levels of organization staff, clients, contractors, and foundations;
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments;
- 1+ years as a Salesforce Administrator, Salesforce Certified Administrator or Developer a plus;
- Experience with NetBase, Cision, Meltwater, Zoom, Drupal, MailChimp, HubSpot, and/or Trello a plus;
- Experience in social media measurement and analysis a plus;
- Python and/or Natural Language Processing a plus;
- Experience with language analysis or cognitive linguistics a plus;
- Experience in messaging and framing analysis a plus;
- Experience in polling or analyzing opinion research on diverse and underrepresented communities a plus;
- Spanish language skills a plus.
Location, Benefits, & Salary
This is a full-time position, ideally based in our San Francisco Bay Area office. For the right candidate, we may consider someone based in our Washington, DC office. The position includes moderate travel to presentations, training workshops, and staff meetings.
Every position at ReThink offers a generous benefits package. Our benefits include vacation starting at three and growing to five weeks per year; medical, dental, a vision coverage; a paid sabbatical after the seventh year; 403(b) retirement fund with employer match; a health reimbursement and flex savings account; and other benefits.
ReThink Media has a strong commitment to staff support, development, and advancement. We provide opportunities for our staff to learn new skills and develop new areas of competency, including advancing to new roles within the organization as their careers develop. While working in a communications organization necessitates some long hours in crisis/rapid response situations, we are strongly committed to balancing hard work with flexible time off and supportive policies that sustain our staff in our long-term commitment to movement-building.
Salary is commensurate with experience and will be in the range of $75,000–85,000 plus benefits.
To apply, send an email to [email protected], Subject: Associate Director of Research & Analysis, stating your interest in the position and providing a brief summary of your background, the reasons you feel you would be good for the position, and your résumé. Please include your cover letter and résumé as attachments, with your name in each filename (e.g., resume-Smith.pdf).
If you have applied for a previous position with ReThink Media, please indicate this in your email.
ReThink Media’s Democracy Collaborative is a team of six staff working with a network of more than 100 state and national organizations strengthening our democracy by expanding and protecting voting rights, reducing the influence of big money in politics, and ensuring an independent judiciary. The project seeks to strengthen the communications capacity of organizations in the sector, to broaden the movement for reform, and to develop shared messaging and media strategies that advance a more inclusive, participatory, and genuinely representative democratic process.
ReThink Media is seeking a Media Associate or Senior Media Associate for our Democracy Collaborative. The ideal candidate will be a self-starting problem solver with a proven record of success with media relations. Importantly, the ideal candidate—an avid communicator who understands the role of digital strategy and storytelling in communications—will be committed to racial justice and our core democracy issues: strengthening the judiciary, getting big money out of politics, and dismantling barriers against voting. The ideal candidate will have at least two years of experience working in the fields of media, communications, and press or public relations. Experience working as a Capitol Hill or NGO communications staffer, in campaign or advocacy communications, or in pitching and placing content and/or spokespeople in the media a plus. The Media Associate for Voting Rights reports to the Managing Director for the Democracy Collaborative.
ReThink Media is a critical player and advisor on communications strategy to strengthen democracy. Our next team member will play a central role in shaping narratives and communications strategy for our collaborative and the national dialogue on voting rights.
The Media Associate is responsible for coordinating, training, and assisting Rethink Media’s member groups in monitoring both traditional and online news coverage, and in responding rapidly and effectively to breaking news. This includes tracking all of the key reporters, Hill communications staff, and opposition spokespeople, building and maintaining shared press lists, assisting groups in building individual press lists and, where appropriate, assisting with the editing, pitching and placement of content and spokespeople. Importantly, the Media Associate will work to build capacity among voting rights communicators, positioning them to better lead communications and digital strategy from the ground.
Specific goals will be set quarterly, corresponding to the following duties:
- Monitor daily news, opinion, and social media coverage and review daily news digests from the sector in order to identify key opportunities for rapid response. Draft daily clips related to top news stories in the voting rights arena with relative talking points and social media content.
- Assist in the development of timely and effective talking points, messaging tips and where appropriate draft statements, op-eds and letters to the editor, to be distributed in response to breaking news developments and ahead of known media opportunities.
- Develop an expertise of all of the key reporters and outlets covering the issues, with particular attention paid to developing relationships with ethnic and specialty media. Assist in training groups on developing and maintaining tailored press lists.
- Build meaningful relationships with voting rights member groups and develop an expertise on the specific issues they work on, their unique media profiles, their key spokespeople, areas of expertise, and access to validators in order to be able to quickly identify who the best organizations or experts are to connect to a reporters or to write an op-ed, LTE etc., on a breaking story.
- Coordinate social media strategies and tactics for the voting rights field, including both longer-term efforts and rapid response opportunities.
- Ensure a consistent digital voice for ReThink’s work with the collaborative and provide the best social media analysis to inform the online strategies of ongoing advocacy and collaborative communications campaigns.
- Identify opportunities for collaborative multi-organization media initiatives and support ongoing campaigns and issue/policy initiatives. These often include developing and implementing strategies for op-ed, LTE and editorial initiatives, assisting with pitching and placement of spokespeople and content, developing online strategies, implementing strategies for outreach to Hill communications staff and tracking our efforts.
- Support individual media work and communications capacity of each of our member groups. This often includes assisting groups in developing a strategic communications plan, in implementing media strategies, in building press lists, assisting in the editing and development of media content, assisting with pitching and placement, providing media training, conducting audits of coverage and expert profiles, identifying and creating content for relevant rapid response opportunities, etc.
- Assist with longer-term research projects such as media and public opinion audits and coverage analysis of specific issues, frames, editorial coverage and outlets.
- Assisting in training targeted experts and groups in building rapid response media capacity including improving their outreach to editorial page editors and tips in developing editorial packets, and in writing and placing op-eds and letters-to-the-editor.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Experiencing working alongside communities of color.
- Demonstrated experience or commitment to ReThink Media’s issue areas or organizations, in particular voting rights.
- Experience monitoring and analyzing news coverage, writing press materials, developing traditional and social media strategies and/or pitching stories.
- Strong writing, editing, communications and presentation skills.
- A creative and strategic ability to frame ideas, develop stories and synthesize complex policy issues in a way that appeals to the news media and a wide variety of audiences.
- Experience with digital content and strategy for social media, including an ability to capitalize on trends; develop concepts for compelling graphics, and analyze metrics and performance.
- Demonstrated experience in fast-paced campaign communications, with preference for experience in state-based advocacy/political public relations.
- Excellent news sense and political savvy.
- Knowledge of print, broadcast, and electronic news media.
- A proven track record managing a fast-paced, multi-faceted workload, ideally involving media and communications and/or client relations.
- Strong training skills.
- Proven track record as a strong team player with project management skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, with varying levels of organization staff, clients, contractors, foundations and the media.
- Willingness to work flexible hours when needed. Ability to work mornings before business hours.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments.
- Strong research and administrative skills.
- Experience with Cision, Mailchimp, CRMs, Sysomos, Webex, and Drupal a plus.
- Fluency in a second language a plus.
Location & Salary
This is a full-time position based in our DC office with modest travel to our California office, New York, and key member states for conferences, funder meetings, training workshops, and periodic staff meetings. This position comes with a generous benefits package, including vacation and sick time, paid sabbatical, and retirement.
The salary range for media associates is $50,000–60,000 a year plus benefits. The salary range for senior media associates is $60,000–75,000 a year plus benefits.
To apply, please carefully follow these instructions. Send your cover letter as a PDF attachment and make sure to include your name in the title of the attachment (e.g., cover letter-Jones.pdf). State the reason for your interest in the position, provide a brief summary of your professional experience, your salary requirements, and address your background in relation to working on these issues. If you have applied for a previous position with ReThink Media, please indicate this in your email. Attach your resume to the email and make sure to include your name in the title of the attachment (e.g., resume-Jones.pdf). Email your application to [email protected], Subject: Media Associate, Voting Rights.
All applications will be acknowledged, and qualified applicants will be asked to complete a brief questionnaire and writing exercise prior to the scheduling of a final round of interviews.
RETHINK MEDIA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
ReThink is committed to a just and equitable society wherein all people are treated equally, opportunity is justly distributed, and all voices are heard. We affirm and seek diversity in gender, race, color, ethnicity & national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), class, religion, ability, life experiences, and background as both a positive contribution to our organizational environment and a critical asset for informing and enabling our work. With this in mind, we are committed to maintaining a work environment that recognizes, understands, respects, and encourages the unique contributions of each member and we approach every hiring decision with a commitment to workplace diversity.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
ReThink Media is an equal opportunity employer grounded in progressive political values. We embrace applicants of any race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related) or conditions Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions (ARC). Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.