ReThink is a unique, nonprofit organization that strengthens movements through building collaborative media and communications capacity, increasing the voice share of spokespeople, experts, and allies, and providing in-depth media, messaging, and opinion research to inform movement strategy. At present, ReThink works in three distinct, yet interconnected, issue areas: the protection of human and civil rights, strengthening our democracy, and for a more constructive U.S. foreign and national security policy.
FULL-TIME STAFF POSITIONS
ReThink is a unique, nonprofit organization that strengthens movements through building the collaborative media and communications capacity of state and national advocacy groups, increasing the voice share of their spokespeople, experts, and allies, and providing in-depth media, messaging, and opinion research to inform movement strategy. Working with our funding partners, we focus on long-term engagement with the groups we work with and the issues we take on – all driven by a belief that the stronger the groups are across an issue sector and the tighter their collaboration, the more likely they are to win real and lasting policy victories. At present, ReThink works in three distinct, yet interconnected, issue areas: the protection of human and civil rights, strengthening our democracy, and a more constructive U.S. foreign and national security policy.
Job Announcement: Associate Director, Research and Analysis
DESCRIPTION ReThink Media seeks a talented, insightful, and accomplished analyst to join our growing Analysis team as Associate Director of Research & Analysis. The ideal candidate will have a background in media, messaging, public opinion analysis, or measurement and evaluation and be eager to lead in a data-driven organization fighting for security, rights, and democracy in the United States and around the world.
We are looking for someone with passion for quantitative and qualitative analysis and its real-world applications. Insights into how the media covers political and social issues, how the public thinks about them, and where communications strategy can create change form the backbone of the ReThink model. The Analysis team maintains five proprietary media databases and examines public and proprietary polling, message-testing research, and other data on social and traditional media—all with the aim of providing actionable intelligence to our partners.
The Associate Director will supervise one or more associates, and interns as needed. This position reports to the Director of Media & Opinion Analysis, which is a central team that works with each issue team in the organization and is overseen by the Chief of Staff.
The Associate Director of Research and Analysis will join a team that supports three diverse issue areas, juggling priorities and working in consultation with colleagues, and will be responsible for managing projects and delivering analysis to these colleagues, to funding partners, and to advocacy communities. The Associate Director will also play a key role in using data and analysis tools to evaluate the impact and effectiveness of ReThink itself.
The ideal candidate will have 5–7 years of experience working in media or messaging analysis, public opinion research, measurement and evaluation, or a similar field and have a strong understanding of the workings of the non-profit research and advocacy community. They will have direct experience and/or demonstrated commitment to the issues ReThink Media works on. They will also have a proven track record of staff and project management.
ReThink’s approach to communications is grounded in movement building. Our goal is to demonstrably help organizations become stronger, faster, more agile, and more effective in their media work.
Principle Duties Goals will be set quarterly, corresponding to the following duties:
• Oversee the Analysis team’s project management and delivery across multiple issue areas and grants, in partnership with the Director of Analysis;
• Advise colleagues on strategic questions about the public opinion landscape;
• Provide high-level strategic guidance on gaps and strengths in the traditional and social media landscape;
• Oversee the production of regular polling bulletins, post-hoc media analyses, and message guidance;
• Manage short- and long-term project traffic flow within the Analysis team;
• Oversee the maintenance and development of ReThink’s five proprietary media databases;
• Oversee the Analysis team’s daily poll-tracking and alerts;
• Draw from the experience and daily work of other ReThink staff to provide context, gut-checks, collaboration, and additional information for analysis pieces;
• Work in collaboration with the Director of Analysis, Director of Campaigns, Managing Directors of each collaborative team, and others to plan and manage the Analysis team’s workplan;
• In partnership with the Director of Analysis, manage the recruitment and supervision of Research and Analysis Associates, interns, and fellows.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
• A commitment to social justice, civil and human rights, global peace and security, and a genuinely inclusive democracy.
• Superior writing, editing, communications, and presentation skills.
• 5–7 years of experience working in media analysis, public opinion research, or a related field.
• A proven record successful of staff and project management.
• Experience monitoring and analyzing news coverage, public opinion, messaging research, and writing about each for a variety of audiences.
• Ability to assess and prioritize projects based on strategic goals.
• Collaborative attitude and ability to work with partners across an organization.
• Knowledge of data collection and analysis methodologies.
• Familiarity with Tableau or similar data analysis and visualization software.
• Strong training, mentoring, and/or supervisory skills.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, with varying levels of organization staff, clients, contractors, and foundations.
• Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments.
• Experience with NetBase, Cision, Meltwater, Zoom, Drupal, MailChimp, HubSpot, and/or Trello a plus.
• Experience with cognitive linguistics a plus.
• Experience in polling or analyzing opinion research on diverse and underrepresented communities a plus.
• Spanish language skills a plus.
Location & Salary This is a full-time position, ideally based in either our San Francisco Bay Area or Washington, DC office. The position includes moderate travel to presentations, training workshops, and staff meetings. This position comes with a very generous benefits package, including vacation, sabbatical, retirement, a health savings account, and other benefits.
Salary is commensurate with experience and will be in the range of $75,000–90,000 plus benefits.
The deadline to apply is April 12, 2019. To apply, send an email to [email protected], Subject: Associate Director of Research & Analysis, stating your interest in the position and providing a brief summary of your background, the reasons you feel you would be good for the position, your salary requirements, and your résumé. Please include your cover letter and résumé as attachments, with your name in each filename (e.g., resume-Smith.pdf).
If you have applied for a previous position with ReThink Media, please indicate this in your email.
RETHINK MEDIA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
ReThink is committed to a just and equitable society wherein all people are treated equally, opportunity is justly distributed, and all voices are heard. We affirm and seek diversity in gender, race, color, ethnicity & national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), class, religion, ability, life experiences, and background as both a positive contribution to our organizational environment and a critical asset for informing and enabling our work. With this in mind, we are committed to maintaining a work environment that recognizes, understands, respects, and encourages the unique contributions of each member and we approach every hiring decision with a commitment to workplace diversity.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
ReThink Media is an equal opportunity employer grounded in progressive political values. We embrace applicants of any race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related) or conditions Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions (ARC). Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.