I am extremely lucky to have gotten the opportunity to work with such a terrific constellation of advocates, organizers, lawyers, funders and, of course, communicators during my tenure. There's nothing like ReThink, or the awe-inspiring groups I worked with who let me join them in their trenches. And I'm personally grateful for and appreciative of the leadership and team at ReThink, and the confidence they had in me.
From Day One, ReThink’s mission has attracted amazing, smart, and creative staff. Add to this, a shared sense of justice and determination to make a measurable difference to the groups, issues, and communities we work with. If that sounds like a great fit with your convictions and professional goals, read below to find out more about working at ReThink.
And if you don’t meet all the qualifications for one of our postings, convince us in your cover letter why you’re the ideal candidate that we should consider for the job.
This is a critical time for our issues. Our very democracy is under siege from an unprecedented attack. The challenge is enormous but there are strong movements and determined allies who need help. Together, we’re fighting for an inclusive, representative democracy where every person is heard from equally; a country where no one fears for their safety because of how they choose to pray; and a safer world—limiting the threat of nuclear weapons and bringing an END to our seemingly endless wars.
- Work with—and learn from—many of the leading organizations and activists in the country.
- Put your talents and energy to work for an entire sector and movement, not just a single group.
- Push yourself personally and professionally with an organization that values experimentation, innovation, and data-based approaches.
What are the Perks?
We invest in our staff because they invest in the work. Here's what that includes:
- Thrive with generous health care, dental, and vision benefits, including an employer-paid health reimbursement arrangement (HRA) account toward medical expenses, mental health, acupuncture, and chiropractic therapy for employees and dependents.
- Recharge with paid vacation time, sick and personal days, extended holidays, and our annual year-end closure.
- Balance your life and your work with a flex schedule, parental leave, and other flexible policies.
- Sustain your life’s work in the movement for the long-haul with our paid sabbatical program after five, 10, and 15 years at ReThink.
- Secure your future with a 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan with employer contributions.
- Challenge yourself and advance your professional development through our extensive skills training program and culture of constant learning.
- Get the most from your money with pre-tax health care and dependent care benefits.
- Sleep easier at night with our life insurance and supplemental short- and long-term disability insurance.
Our Compensation Philosophy
ReThink Media’s mission is to build movements that can reach new audiences and achieve shared, lasting policy change. We aim to support the long-term sustainability of this work on both a macro and micro level, and this is a bedrock of our approach to compensation.
We are committed to equity and transparency in all of our internal policies and practices, including our pay and benefits structure.
We strive for our compensation to meet the needs of staff in all stages of life and career, regardless of age, race, gender, geography, family structure, and any other difference. This includes a periodic review of our wages and benefits, both externally (relative to similarly-sized advocacy NGOs) and internally to ensure equity across our staff. ReThink aims to be a sustainable, family-friendly work environment and we provide the things we think should be available in a healthy society.
The work we do is challenging and often emotionally draining. We want our staff to use their benefits. Ultimately, we want our staff to feel taken care of so that they can focus on our mission.
Our goal is to attract, develop, and retain diverse, talented, and growth-minded staff while remaining financially responsible and sustainable. Therefore, we intend our wages to align with or slightly exceed market rates for similarly sized, progressive, nonprofit advocacy organizations in our two most competitive markets in the Washington, DC Metro Area and the San Francisco Bay Area.
We intend our overall benefits package to significantly exceed market rates for both the nonprofit and for-profit sectors, with a particular focus on equity and supporting the long-term sustainability of our staff. We use the most generous or strict state laws—generally California’s—as the basis for determining our level of benefits, regardless of the state in which our staff are located.
Currently accepting applications for:There are no openings at this time.
As my first full-time communications job, ReThink helped me learn and hone my craft. From developing talking points and pitching reporters, to building communications plans and training other advocates on our best practices, my time at ReThink was key to teaching me the skills I've used ever since to excel into senior communications positions.
Rethink Media as an Equal Opportunity Employer
ReThink is committed to a just and equitable society wherein all people are treated equally, opportunity is justly distributed, and all voices are heard. We affirm and seek diversity in gender, race, color, ethnicity & national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), class, religion, ability, life experiences, and background as both a positive contribution to our organizational environment and a critical asset for informing and enabling our work. With this in mind, we are committed to maintaining a work environment that recognizes, understands, respects, and encourages the unique contributions of each member and we approach every hiring decision with a commitment to workplace diversity.
Equal Opportunity Employer
ReThink Media is an equal opportunity employer grounded in progressive political values. We embrace applicants of any race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related) or conditions Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions (ARC). Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.